Outdoor Inspiration with Paul CastellAugust 7, 2018
Hestan Wins Two 2018 TWICE VIP AwardsAugust 20, 2018
Designer input has been crucial to the Hestan product lineup. We consider our designer community an essential resource for learning what our customers desire in form and function.
This week, our #DesignerViews series features Gary Hentges of DDK Kitchen Design Group in Glenview, IL. Clients in the Chicagoland area turn to Greg’s meticulous imagination to transform their culinary spaces from the kitchen to the backyard with seamless performance and style.
1) What inspires you as a designer? I am inspired by the creative process, using the tools of design to structure a set of functional elements in an environment of aesthetic layers. A sequence of logical steps gives way to a collaboration between designer and client.
2) Which outdoor design trends do you feel are making an impact in 2018?
a. The first trend I see is the integration of functional elements into an immersive environment. The connection of inside and outside is now inside-out. Continuous flooring, layered sightlines, and the infusion of light and sound invite a sense of place.
b. Specialty equipment like beer taps, pizza ovens, ice makers, and refrigeration continue to define the most refined projects.
c. A third trend is the home as a spa. A space of relaxation and retreat advocates for wellness and not mere luxury. As more people work from home, the home is redefined as a place of private and social gathering. Landscape, water-features and fireplaces are employed to define areas of use.
3) What should someone take into consideration when designing an outdoor living space? What should they ask themselves? What are your favorite things? What is your burning desire for your outdoor space? What are your current challenges when cooking and entertaining? How do you see yourself and others using and enjoying the space?
People should consider the mechanical systems that meet or exceed project requirements. Hydronic heating and cooling is one such example. Getting it right the first time is critical.
4) The grill is the heart of the patio. What do you look for in a grill when you’re adding one to a design project? Control and distribution of heat determines the usable size of the grill. The quality of engineering for burners and grates directly impacts the results of grilling. Rotisserie, searing and smoking functions add to the pleasure and possibilities of the outdoor cooking experience.
5) What would you say to a client who is choosing between an outdoor kitchen, versus a stand-alone grill —and what impact does each have on an outdoor space? For me this is a question of space and scope. Small spaces become alive and luxurious with the addition of a beautiful grill working as a secondary focal point. A stand-alone grill is also the perfect addition to a larger outdoor space, striking a balance among amenities.
An outdoor kitchen defines an outdoor area, inviting cooks and others to share time. Work surfaces allow for the preparation of ingredients. Refrigeration allows for their storage. Beverage centers eliminate trips indoor. Bringing the indoors to the outdoors transforms tasks into shared memories.
Explore the entire Hestan Outdoor product lineup here to get started building your dream outdoor kitchen.