2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 ½ cups fennel, chopped
2- 28oz cans, peeled whole tomatoes, drained, liquid reserved
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream
1. Pour oil in a large Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat.
2. Add garlic and cook until softened – about 2 minutes.
3. Add fennel and onions and cook until onions are translucent – about 5 minutes.
4. Add tomatoes, zest, rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add reserved tomato liquid, 2 cups water, sugar, salt and pepper.
6. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until fennel is very tender – about 45 minutes.
7. Transfer soup (in small batches) to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
8. Return soup to the Dutch oven and stir in heavy cream.