Purcell Murray’s San Francisco showroom is a dreamland of kitchen design. Their product vignettes are truly aspirational. So we were beyond thrilled to glean insights from designer Elaine Hall Murray, CMKBD and ASID Allied Member, with Purcell Murray.
1. What inspires you today in the appliance industry?
Innovation! From technology to design, some very exciting ideas are being brought to the table. I’m very inspired by Hestan’s cutting-edge design and the seamless combination of form and function. It really gives me the freedom to rethink layouts and positioning within the kitchen.
2. Which three kitchen trends do you see for 2019?
1) Transitional/contemporary design
2) New surfaces and materials
3) Organization: thoughtful and specific points of use for drawers and cabinets
BONUS: I think we’ll see MORE appliances in the kitchen, with duplicated and specialized products to suit clients’ culinary passions.
3. What should someone take into consideration when designing their kitchen or living space?
While there are certain design principles that should not be ignored, the true test is how the client intends to use the kitchen. You should also consider family dynamics like the ages of children or no children, disabilities, planned length of residence, etc. It is a dance of individual needs and good design. However, good design can be attained on any budget.
4. What are the qualities your customers are looking for in the appliances they choose?
5. How do you think Hestan is changing the game in the high-end appliance sector?
Their crossover design combining commercial elements for residential use really stands out and works with all kitchen styles. The Marquise Accented™ handle is a particular point of inspiration for me. Hestan’s exceptional power and performance backs up that stunning form with function to match.